Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Week Later; Picking up the Pieces


(This image is a fountain which honors my late mother-in-law, it's in a garden at our church).
Today was a good day. After losing our friend and co-worker, Cary Aspy, we have found ourselves feeling overwhelmed with emotions from those who are wishing his family and Schnitz Racing families all their love and prayers. And I believe it's working. I feel a whole lot more in touch with the world today than I did a week ago. I feel more at peace. That peace is coming from God.


I have begun reading a book that I've had for about a year and am surprised that it didn't catch my eye sooner. It's called, Living Simply in God's Abundance. The author has written an 86 day devotional designed for women. It's how she views the seasons of our lives; Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter. It's very good indeed. Quite random at times but draws us to our Creator in many subliminal messages of hope, grace, peace, and love.


One question she asks is, "What is old?" She quotes General Douglas MacArthur: "Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideas...You are as young as your self-confidence, as old as your despair." She makes an observation that points to three ideals about getting old: Old is when you lose your dream, Old is when you start turning in on yourself, Old is when you look backward more than you look forward. I am trying really hard to not do any of that!


Stress busters are included throughout the book as well. One is to to sit quietly for 5 minutes and chant something peaceful. Closing the eyes and whispering... (like find peace among the papers)


It's getting late and I'm hungry so I will end my post for now. Sweet dreams to you and yours; live well and love like there's no tomorrow. God Bless!

No comments: